WASHINGTON — Six billion dollars. That's how much money has been blown to influence the US election race that reached the finish line with Tuesday's vote.
Raising six-figure sums at parties with Hollywood czars and hedge fund tycoons or small double-digit offerings via smartphone apps, Barack Obama, Mitt Romney and Congressional candidates have smashed records for campaign spending.
According to an estimate by the Center for Responsive politics, the two White House rivals spent $2.6 billion between them by election day.
Obama trumped his Republican rival in individual contributions, by late October raising $645 million to $413 million.
But the CRP had Romney ahead when all other spending in support of him was considered, from political action committees and other groups pitching for the candidates indirectly.
Surprisingly, the presidential race spending is lower than the $2.8 billion in 2008's White House race.
Instead, the big jump is spending on hundreds of Congressional elections, especially for the Senate, where close races raised the possibility that the Democrats could lose control of the upper house.
In all, the bill comes to $40 a vote, based on 2008's record turnout, 57 percent of the voting age population.
What the voters got, best understood by residents of swing states like Nevada, Florida and Ohio, has been a tsunami of advertisements on their televisions, radios, email accounts and Twitter feeds.
Spending was guaranteed to soar this year after the landmark Supreme Court "Citizens United" case decision in January 2010 said that corporations and unions are able to spend money to promote candidates just like individuals can. READ MORE...
The GOP candidate emphasized that point by telling reporters he had written just one set of remarks for election night: A 1,118-word "victory speech."
But was it all an elaborate head fake? READ MORE...
WACPtv ELECTION EDITORIAL
Now that the ritual process is over, we can firmly say ... WE TOLD YOU LONG AGO.
We said that:
1. The office of the president is no longer one that the people vote to achieve but one that the multi-national corporation select.
2. We told you that the government has been taken over and replaced by a corporation called THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, INC.
3. And We told you that President Barack Obama would retain the office of president no matter how much voting you or anybody else do. He has done a great job for his constituates who are the major corporations whom he (and any other president) represents. We told you this over and over and over long before this results.
So now Black folk are partying and celebrating as if THEY have done something by voting in mass numbers and they feel that THEY have had a victory. It is sad to see our people so foolish at a time in our Her&History which calls for us to focus on much more important issues than (voting) exercising a ritual which means absolutly nothing. It may have meant something when our ancestors fought and died for the right to vote but it has long been stolen and we need to all be clear on that and move on to higher and more important matters. Matters like... WHO IS GOING TO REALLY REPRESENT US? And HOW DO WE POOL OUR ORGANIZATIONS AND RESOURCES TOGETHER (Plebiscite) SO WE CAN GAIN SOME REAL POWER HERE, THE MOTHERLAND AND WHERE EVER WE RESIDE IN THE WORLD.
PRESIDENT OBAMA IS NOT THE PRESIDENT OF BLACK PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE HE IS BLACK. In fact, his record from the past four years reflect that but Black folk are too proud to admit it or hold him accoubtable as we would a Bush or a Romney.
Party on if you will but business is usual in this country and our issues and concerns must be addressed and met BY ANY MEANS NECCESSARY EXCEPT VOTING!
1. ALL THE PAID STAFF MEMBER PARTICIPANTS OF BOTH SO-CALLED PARTIES
2. THE MAJOR MEDIA PRESS RECEIVED MOST OF THOSE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN CAMPAIGN FUNDS TO UPHOLD THE LIE AND SCAM OF 'GET OUT TO VOTE.'
3. THE CORPORATIONS WHO BACKED BOTH CANDIDATES (TAX DEDUCTABLE) WHILE KNOWING ALL ALONG WHO WOULD WIN BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALREADY PRE-SELECTED THEM.
4. THE PRINTING COMPANIES, VENUES, AIRLINES, CAR RENTALS, ETC. WHO RECEIVED PART OF THE $2.6 BILLION SPENT ON THE ELECTION.
5. THOSE BLACKS WHO WILL USE THIS AS A SYMBOL OF ACHIEVEMENT FOR THEIR CHILDREN TO LOOK UP TO AND BE PROUD ( ALTHOUGH IN RALITY, IT'S A SCAM)
1. THE VOTERS WHO SINCERELY WENT OUT TO VOTE AND SPENT SOO MUCH TIME CAMPAIGNING AND VOLUNTEERING THEIR TIME (FREE) FOR A FRAUD SCAM CALLED ELCTION.
2. THE VOTERS ARE THE LOOSERS AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE AS LONG AS THEY REMAIN ASLEEP TO THE GAME BEING PLAYED ON THEM.
3. RED NECK CRACKERS WHO THOUGHT THIS RACE WAS REAL AND THAT IT WAS BLACK AGAINST WHITE.
Politics has become its own corporate mega business. Billions spent in advertising, travel, entertainment, partying, printing, posting, telecommunications add up to one thing: An ongoing every two year profits for all 'suppliers' involved. The dollars and yen and pounds and euros spent on campaigns could pay for better education and healthcare.
Yes poli-tics is a behemoth that feeds on the masses' illusion of voting that will make a difference. So now as my cousin said : "I have to get up Wednesday morning and go to work."
Here is the reality of the Black life living situation in America, and I will for truth sake keep it focus upon America and Black Folks, and when such a pragmatic approach is respected, then it will let you know that the America system of governing and voting is not designed to benefit Black people, just white people, and whoever they choose to allow to experience limited benefits from such a Racist system.
It seem very difficult for Black people to accept regardless of our perception of the America System of governing, that in no way will Black folks gain power of respectability with the freedom to determine our life direction in America, and for Black folks to operate on such a deceiving premise, is what have Black folks believing that the America system of voting give to us equal rights and respectability, which is exactly what a Racist system against a specific ethnic group is designed to do, in this case that group happen to be Black people, in and out of America.
The moment white folks succeeded in transporting our Ancestors to this land call America, it put us into a losing condition and up to this day we have yet to do what is necessary to free ourselves from this losing condition, we rather pretend it does not exist, the fact of our collective condition I make reference too.
So, it is a system of Racism, lying and deceit, using Obama as its prop that win, certainly not Black people, a people in America without power and Authority that will allow the Black life to have meaning and respectability.
Thanks for your replies Mighty Fronse and Mighty Chief. While Blacks are celebrating all across America, some will lose their lobs and others remain without a job or any real hope of getting one. Those who have money are spending it like crazy on all types of unnecessary foolishness and not realizing what time it really is. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A GREAT DAY AS VIEWED FROM THE 'BLACK MEDIA" AND THE SO-CALLED 'BLACK LEADERS' BUT INFACT... IT IS A SAD DAY. Not for me though because I&I can see the tricks and lies and will not be moved by it only to try ans alert the people.
The people love to go to BALL GAMES and root for their favorate team when only the TEAM OWNERS, PLAYERS, STAFF, INVESTORS AND MANAGERS GET PAID. Now the people have another BIG GAME called THE ELECTION which has the same factors involved in it. THE VOTERS / FANS never win anything. They only PAY OUT to keep THE GAMES GOING.